Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wish me luck on my qualifying exams...
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Wish me luck on my qualifying exams...
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:34pm

Been kinda quiet around here lately, and for a reason...

I've been studying pretty much 24/7 Roll Eyes for my upcoming qualifying exams that are to take place on 22-24 of January 2003.

Wish me luck! Smiley

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Yay! I passed my Quallifying exams!
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2003, 4:55am

Phew, thought I would never live to see this day. Grin

So, now I can officially consider myself a Doctoral candidate. Yay!

IP Logged
Martin Buechler

Re: Wish me luck on my qualifying exams...
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2003, 4:13am

Hi Ico,

First of all: Congratulations!

Second: I read the thread you started at alsa-users about RME probs. Unfortunately, there was no real solution for your setup. I have a similar problem trying to record with the RME 9636 + AEB/4-I and having playback through an SB PCI 128. I am able record with ardour after I tweaked /etc/asound.state to use the Internal input connector, which was hard to find out too Sad Then I restart ardour with the SB PCI 128 pcm and listen to what I have recorded blindly with the RME. Actually, I do not want to buy another AEB/4-O analog output card.
My question is, if you could find a solution or maybe you have some advice, if it it possible to use the same channel for capturing on RME and playback through the PCI 128 card at the same time?

Cheers

Martin

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Wish me luck on my qualifying exams...
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2003, 12:33pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the encouraging words regarding my exams!

As far as the problem with RME card is concerned, I think it can be easily resolved with the AEB-O connector (it worked for me). But since buying it is not an option, you should be able to play back through the SB PCI 128, although I think you need to create a plughw device in your .asoundrc in your $HOME dir (or alternately include it system-wide into /etc/asound.conf file) where your input would be RME card and your composite output your SB PCI card. I am not sure about the syntax for the .asoundrc scripting language (especially for this kind of setup) since its documentation is still a bit skimpy, but alsa-devel and alsa-user lists would be a good place to find out. Keep in mind, though that RME is a multi-channel card, while the SB PCI is stereo only (or 4-channel at best, can't remember any more -- I got rid of mine in favor of SB Live audiocard), so you will most likely be able to hear only one stereo feed at a time.

I am not sure this is the 100% possible solution, but theoretically (at least from what I recall about the .asoundrc stuff) it should be possible.

Hope this helps!

Ico

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print