Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Violin "con sordino" soundfont now available
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Violin "con sordino" soundfont now available
Apr 30th, 2005, 12:00am

As my token of gratitude towards the free, open-source community, and more importantly Linux audio community, I am releasing the soundfont that I've built from scratch using exclusively Linux software (Swami, Rezound) and specifically for use in my work "Symmetries."

The soundfont is a based on series of recordings of solo violin playing straight tone "con sordino" sound. The recordings have been structured in a gigasampler fashion (minor 3rd apart, except for the open strings). It has 2 sets of samples, ones without limiter which have already been mapped, and other with the limiter which are in the soundfont but have not been mapped. The sample tuning has been loosely adjusted (project it was originally meant for demanded such a treatment) , so it is not mathematically accurate. The looping of sounds is measured to provide most seamless transition while accounting for the change of the direction of the bow. Conceivably one could create a sense of orchestral sordino by layering the same sound over and over. The soundfont does have ample reverb (again, due to the project) and chorus abilities enabled but IMHO it sounds the best without any chorus applied to it.

With all this being said and done, please note that the soundfont may require a bit of work before it will be usable in other instances, as some of its parameters have been made project-specific. I've also had reports that some were unable to edit the soundfont using commercial samplers. This may be due to the fact that I've used SWAMI (GPL/Linux soundfont editor). So, you may need to resort to that app to edit it.

The soundfont is released under the "GPL/Artistic 2.0" license (for more info please see: http://dev.perl.org/perl6/rfc/346.html).

To download the soundfont please click here:

http://ico.music.vt.edu/Linux/violin_sordino.tar.bz2 (21.5MB)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print