Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soul at CMS 2008
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Soul at CMS 2008
Jan 8th, 2009, 9:50pm

Last fall I had an opportunity to co-present a lecture-recital with Colleague Dr. Theodore Sipes titled Communal Performance Art through Technology: A Study of ‘Soul’ Composition for Baritone, Computer, and Audience. The presentation was given as part of the 2008 College Music Society conference in Atlanta, GA. Apart from unusual technical problems (we were given a monaural audio system with only one speaker working to perform an interactive electroacoustic work, go figure), the performance went quite well and despite a relatively small audience (gotta love lunchtime talks!) , we've received a lot of positive feedback and more importantly made several new friends. One of them is a really interesting percussionist Ron Coulter from Illinois--really loved his performance and compositions.

On a side-note, the timing of the conference could not have been better--with the hurricane season leaving Atlanta virtually without a drop of gasoline we almost got stuck there. Seeing abandoned cars all over the interstate in a nail-biting hunt for a station that was still open made me wonder whether I should follow Rob Riggle's advice to go apocalyptic and adorn myself with football gear and feathers. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print